As I mentioned on the fanpage, this is my 500th post. By popular demand (meaning: the three people who responded in the comments), I’m skipping today’s Friday Feets in favor of a big, self-congratulatory 500th post.
I’ve spent most of the morning re-reading the early posts, trying to figure out what to write. The weird thing about re-reading that much of your own writing is that after a while, you start to feel like you’re studying someone else.
So, in no particular order, here are some things I have learned about myself and the blog:
– There was once a time when I didn’t know what jeggings were. It was only a year ago that I first heard the term. We were all so innocent back then.
- I genuinely believed that harem pants wouldn’t last for more than a season. Judging by one of ModCloth’s tweets today, I was wrong.
- I really, really don’t like Jon Gosselin. He’s fallen out of the news, so I’ve forgotten how I want to punch him in the face whenever I see pictures of him.
- I might actually be kind of insane. I forgot I had written a post in the voice of Rorschach from “The Watchmen,” but having reread it, I now vividly remember sitting at my computer giggling with manic glee. From that point forward, my boyfriend knew that if he heard that noise, it meant I was writing a really, really weird post (he heard the same sound the first time I added Chairman Kaga to a Friday Feets post).
- Further proof: The Aclogalypse. Seriously, I am not a sane human being. Why are you guys reading this blog? It’s the detailed rantings of a deeply disturbed woman.
- I have way too much time on my hands, as is evidenced by the hours spent working on a flowchart that answers the eternal question, “Should I wear this fishnet skirt?”
Since it’s the 500th post, and I’ve spent the top recycling old posts, I figured I’d throw in something that never made it to the blog.
I was going to do a feature called “Clothes From the Blog In Action.” Several months ago, I went to a Forever 21 and tried on some of the clothes I’d featured (or considered featuring) in the blog. From left to right:
My usual wardrobe – it must have been winter, because I’m wearing my winter uniform: jewel toned top, miniskirt, boots.
Tie Front Sweater Dress – One of those rare times when I tried something on and thought, “I don’t look terrible in this, it looks terrible on me.”
Embellished Neckline Dress – I tried it on, but it never made it into the blog. I love how it sticks out underneath the right side like I have giant love handles.
Slash Beaded Knit Top – When I say in the post that this isn’t a dress, it’s because I tried it on in the store before seeing it online. That is why I am not wearing any pants in that picture.
Dignity is overrated.
I’m not big on finishing what I started when it comes to writing (as is evidenced by the many half-written scripts sitting in limbo on my computer), so it’s kind of insane that I’ve kept with it for over a year. So that’s why I’m making a big deal out of 500 – I just think it’s really cool.
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it many more times over the next 500 posts: thanks for the support, the comments, posting the blog on message boards, the kind words, the reader submissions – thanks for everything.
Writing this blog has been amazing and a lot of fun, but I never would have kept up with it if there hadn’t been an audience. It kind of boggles my mind that there would be an audience for some of what I write, but apparently there is.
One big change since I started writing this blog: banner ads have gotten a lot more random thanks to my search history and targeted advertising. No, I don’t own a ferret. But this ad will make sense soon, trust me.