Overall and Out 6

Thanks to Amy for posting these on the fanpage. As she quite succinctly put it: “They’re back …”

According to AE.com, “The 90′s are back and way better than before.” When I saw The Gap was trying to make overall dresses happen, I was baffled as to why, of all the 90s fashions, overalls were the ones that had returned from the grave.

I was all about a 90s revival back in the day. Now that it’s here, I’m can’t for the life of me figure out why I wanted to see 90s fashions come back in style. I know the flannels and Docs were enticing, but why did I have to tempt fate? It’s practically a law of fashion that the least appealing trends will be resurrected during a decade’s fashion revival.

I saw these in the Santa Monica Promenade store a few months ago, but apparently they are now an online exclusive. Smart move – I’ve found it’s bad for business to sell something that makes shoppers burst into convulsive laughter the minute they see it.

Although, it is a missed opportunity for me. Think of all the free promotion I’d get from people staring in shock at the sight of these and exclaiming, “You want me to wear what?”

American Eagle Denim Overalls – $59.50

6 thoughts on “Overall and Out

1. Reply Jenny Nov 17, 2010 6:55 pm

You’ll be missing out on the trend – overalls are back in full effect here in New York City. Saw two other ladies rocking them today on the streets of midtown Manhattan, and looking great while doing so.

I bought myself another pair this summer while they were still at the Gap. Great fit. Try it before you laugh!

~j

2. Reply Amanda Nov 17, 2010 8:17 pm

But … making snap judgments is kind of my thing. It’s how I shut myself off from the risk of getting too close to people and then being hurt by their rejection.

In all seriousness, I haven’t seen the trend here in LA yet, but I’ll keep an eye out. I love being proven wrong, so if you want to send a pic of your overalls and an argument for them, I’d love to post it as a counterpoint (I’m hoping the “send pix plz” doesn’t sound super-sketch).

Thanks for reading!

3. Reply Amy Nov 18, 2010 5:03 am

So many times I’ve had to convince my mother she should throw her dungarees/overalls out. So many times. Only recently did she get rid of her old pair with tweety bird embroidered on the front. Not a good look on a pudgy 35yo woman (or on anyone).

Screw you trends, for undoing all my hard work. *sigh*
    If they migrate (because overalls can fly you know) over here I’ll have to convince her all over again that they’re not ‘cool’!

4. Reply Amanda Nov 19, 2010 1:35 pm

@Amy – Ouch. My condolences. Stay strong, you’re doing God’s work.

5. Reply Chanel iPhone 6 Cases Jun 16, 2015 2:58 am

The most apparent change in Editorial 1.2 is support for the latest iPhones and iOS 8. Editorial 1.1 worked okay on the iPhone 6 and iOS 8, but there were a few bugs and lack of support for the bigger screens that made the app barely usable for many

6. Reply LV Galaxy S5 Case Nov 4, 2015 6:47 am

Marshmallow brings improved functionality for Google Now which is now capable of showing contextual information about what’s on the screen. The feature is called Google Now On Tap and it can be accessed by long-pressing the home button.