My So-Cloche Life 8

I know we’re not supposed to value things more than people. I know that. A thing can’t care about you, can’t care for you, can’t provide support or love.

But things can change you. Clothes, a haircut, a piercing – they change you in a way that people rarely can.

School is a battlefield for your heart. So when Rayanne Graff told me my hair was holding me back, I had to listen. ‘Cause she wasn’t just talking about my hair. She was talking about my life.

This hat has the potential to change me.
In my mind, when I own this hat, I will become an entirely different person. A better person. A person who doesn’t keep all her long-sleeve t-shirts in an unfolded pile on a shelf. My apartment won’t be cluttered. I’ll be gracious. I will smile when I’m lost in thought instead of glaring like someone just called me fat and ruined my favorite pair of shoes.

I will make plans with friends. I will remember everyone’s birthday. I will be light and airy. My laugh will be charming, rather than a mix of braying and squeaking that can only be described as “the sound of a horse-hamster hybrid choking to death.”

This hat will make me less Daria and more Emily from Cupcakes and Cashmere. If I own this hat, I’ll be able to cook more than a grilled steak. I’ll use more than just my grill pan. I will jog daily because if I don’t exercise, I just feel “off.” I won’t pick at my cuticles until I have, as my boyfriend describes it, “the hands of a meth addict.”

I will read. I will write every day. I will spend more time outside. I will set up that sun lamp I bought to help with my depression. I will make to-do lists and actually follow them. This hat is my New Year’s resolution in fabric form. Every promise I’ve ever made to myself, every commitment I’ve made to others – I will follow through on them, because with this hat, I can’t possibly be flaky. This is the hat of someone who is put together, who is in control, who is calm and composed.

This hat will change my life. I’m sure of it.

Kate Spade Galleria Marlena Wool Cloche – $125

8 thoughts on “My So-Cloche Life

1. Reply Izalika Dec 27, 2010 8:09 pm

It seems like cheating to say that the hat that will change your life is the one that is $125 and therefore less likely to end up in one’s wardrobe…

2. Reply Amanda Dec 27, 2010 9:32 pm

It’s kind of cheating to say that a hat will change your life, period. But it is a pretty hat, and I’m probably not going to change my sloppy, lazy ways even if I have ten of them.

3. Reply L-A Dec 27, 2010 11:03 pm

I love this hat. And I love the My So-Called Life quote. Whenever I buy things from Kate Spade I think that I’ll be that adorable, slightly quirky girl who is generally put together. It never happens.

4. Reply Amanda Dec 28, 2010 2:15 am

@L-A: So glad I’m not the only one … my bf read this post and thought it was kind of sad and depressing. Clearly, he doesn’t understand the transformative qualities of cute accessories.

5. Reply Kyra Dec 29, 2010 4:29 pm

That hat reminds me of the show Wind at my Back. And I want one. But I’m not a hat person. I own like 12 hats and they all look great on me, but I never wear them. But if I had that hat I would be graceful and elegant and not the lazy, frizzy-haired, throw on anything pretty that looks like it might sort of work, slightly adorable girl that I am.

I should buy that hat, but I won’t. Lol.

6. Reply Trish Feb 10, 2011 8:21 pm

I had never looked at anything by Kate Spade before, but after reading this post i went to the website. Just thought I would let you know that it is on sale for $87. I also love your Blog

7. Reply Chanel iPhone 6 Case Jun 16, 2015 3:24 am

This reduces the number of unique objects developers can put on screen, as well as the amount of CPU time that is available to perform other tasks. Low level graphics APIs aim to address this by removing much of the overhead that exists in current graphics APIs.

8. Reply Fake Chanel Bags Apr 13, 2016 12:52 am

The 10th edition of the World Retail Congress is taking place in Dubai this week; it has previously been held in London, Berlin, Paris, Rome, Barcelona.